Thursday, May 21, 2009

Why Blog about the VRB-ESS?

This is my initial post to the US&R Energy Storage blog. I started this blog so I could share my thoughts on grid energy storage and the VRB-ESS. Although there are many different energy storage technologies, and each has a potential application in the energy management toolbox, I wanted a forum where I could focus on the VRB system and its applications.

First, some background - the VRB-ESS is the vanadium redox flow battery (VRB) energy storage system (ESS) by Prudent Energy. More information on the technology is available at our website, www.Utility-Savings.com. My comments on this blog are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Prudent Energy or anyone else connected with the company.

The VRB technology is decades old and installed around the world in various sizes from 5 kW to 6 megawatts. It's ready for mass deployment for smart grid and wind/solar energy integration. We are looking for opportunities, such as provided by the smart grid stimulus funding, to deploy large installations and bring the cost down through economies of scale. Just like photovoltaic technology (PV), the cost for this technology has been significant, limiting installation to demonstrations and niche applications. However, the deployment of intermittent renewables, like solar and wind, is focusing attention on the need for massive energy storage, and incentives are being created to reduce installation costs and build the pipeline. Thus, like PV, greater deployment, due to these financial incentives, will result in cost reduction through economies of scale, resulting in even greater penetration and benefit to the grid.

Utility Savings & Refund, LLC (US&R) is my company and we are a sales affiliate for the system. We saw the possibilities for this amazing technology back in 2006, and we've been promoting it ever since. I'll be discussing some of the potential applications and benefits in later posts. However, my plan for this blog is to comment on current developments in energy storage, not to use the blog as a long infomercial for the VRB-ESS. That being said, please keep in mind that I will feel free to comment from the perspective of one that is most familiar with one specific and practical energy storage solution.

No comments: